Saturday, January 31, 2009

Let's Share

This is something that i must share with all of u.. I went for the aerobic session like usual at PISA and was informed on the blood donation campaign going on today. So I rushed both my parents to the venue. It was held in Dewan at the Lorong Mahsuri 10.

With full of courage and trying to do something meaningful on the day i was born 23 years ago, i stepped into the room. Some minor checkup was held since i brought along the red book(the book that was given to the blood donors by Pusat Darah Negara). My hand was pluck with tiny needle to release some blood and dropped into i think is Copper(II) Sulfate(since the solution is blue and Cu2+ in aqueous is blue) test was conducted.

According to my reading, if blood sink rapidly it shows the hemoglobin sufficiency. While my case is the blood float and and sink very slowly indicates the lack of hemoglobin. Hemoglobin is the iron-containing oxygen-transport metalloprotein in the red blood cells of vertebrates(Wikipedia). So i was given some packets of tablets ranging from folic acid to Vit B. And told to eat every morning. The bottom line is. I cannot donate my blood coz iron insufficiency. Cehhhh.. Punya smangat..

While my father's case is he's 57 this year and last date he donated blood was back in 2005. The personnel said NO to him also. She said that, for people age 50 and above, they have to do annual blood donation. Once they skipped, they are not allowed to donate their whole life. I couldn't find any explanation to that besides my own theory where the ability of the red blood cell to carry oxygen decreased and the quality of the RBC decreased as well. Dunno.. I left my books more than half year. So both of us went back disappointingly. I thought we can have the KFC voucher which will be given to the donors as our dinner.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Try again next time....There is several blood donation campaign carried out every month.